Saturday, August 11, 2012

Coming of Age- 1st Draft

Coming Of Age Essay

            I’m peacefully writing my thank you cards for my birthday presents, while mom is on the side of me watching TV. I hear the TV volume slowly decreasing and she says we are moving houses, and I said “okay” because I knew it was eventually going to happened. Next she told me she was getting married, which made me start to get a little mad, confused, and surprised. I then start asking her questions like “when are you getting married?”, “When did John ask you?”, and “Are you sure you want to get married?”. After hearing about mom going to get married I hear her softly under her breath say she was pregnant. I thought she was joking so I told her to “Shut up” repeatedly when finally she told me she wasn’t joking and I saw her touch her stomach and that was when I freaked out.
            I asked mom “ Are you sure your getting married?” and her response was yes!  I couldn’t get that through my head for the longest time. I was still processing that mom is pregnant. After hearing all the big news that was happening I ran to my room with no further questions and slammed my door behind me. I jumped to lay on my bed and had so many questions running through my head, debating if I wanted to ask them or not. A few minutes later mom came into my room asking me what my problem was and why I stammered off into my room without saying anything. All I could tell to her was that I had nothing to say. And our conversation ended there.
            The following day when she woke me up it wasn’t the same. I could tell she was mad from the tone of her voice. But like a stubborn child I acted like nothing happened until she stopped me while walking out the door to go to school, she said to me “Are you sure you still don’t have anything to talk about?” and as usual my answer was “No”.  I felt like I was in a dream and couldn’t wake up. All I could think about was what my life was going to be like in the future with all these new changes happening.
            Something changed my life even more, which was mom being pregnant. I felt like I was going to be sick to my stomach because I knew my life was going to be very different. I knew I wouldn’t be as spoiled as much or have as much attention as I did before. I would also have to help out more around the house such as wash dishes more often and also not leave my school things all over the place. 9 months later mom had her baby. My sister came on August 4, 2012 and my life is already changing but, its not all that bad. Before I felt like everything was going to change and my life was going to be harder, but it isn’t that bad. I love her to death! She is so adorable, petite, and such a cutie pie.
            In a way I grew up, I had to start taking more responsibility, and mature more. I learned I am no longer the baby of the family, and I have to start helping out around the house more now that there’s a baby around. Everyday is a new day that I slowly get more and more independent to help me in the future and grow up to be a smart, independent women.







3 comments:

  1. Brooke(:
    I really like your essay! You make it personal, and you include just enough detail so that I can see exactly what was going on at that time. I like how you state certain things like when you asked your mom, "When did John ask you?" and even without telling us striaght forward what his name is.

    Some things I think you can improve on is continuing to talk about how you have grown as of right now. In other words, how are you different now that you have your sister? Or, what specifically are you doing now that made you be more of a mature person? Also, just go over your essay one more time to catch some of the grammar errors like the last sentence, "veryday is a new day that I slowly get more and more independent to help me in the future and grow up to be a smart, independent women." You don't really want to be women...just a woman.


    Besides those small things, I enjoyed reading your essay & I can't wait to see grow into a woman;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl. Really good emotional depth on your essay. Aww, you described your emotions perfectly to the point where the reader could feel them as they were going through your essay.
    Like joy said though, I think you could really elaborate on more parts, such as the resentment you had felt toward the baby at first, and then how much you've grown to adore it in the past couple of weeks, and grow up even more because of it.
    Overall, it was really good. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please re-read you essay aloud to yourself and listen to see if it flows and it all makes sense. Some of your sentences can get confusing and contain errors. For example, "Something changed my life even more, which was mom being pregnant," it gets confusing and hard to comprehend. It would make more sense if it was "changing my life even further was my mom being pregnant" or "my mom being pregnant changed my life more than her getting married" Good luck! And please take your time.

    ReplyDelete